How can we improve Office Lens?

Please let us change automated date format (e.g yyyy/mm/dd) that appears.

Please allow us to change the format of the date that is entered automatically (e.g. yyyy/mm/dd).

763 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Simon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the user to set their preferred filename format so we don't have to manually type it in upon each save.

• Matthew Petty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES. Allow ISO8601 and other formats, so that everyone outside of the USA, Marshall Islands, or Micronesia can have a date that makes intrinsic sense.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree with those who like the format YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS Office Lens. This is excellent for proper sorting as well as having a sequence if needed

• pepmoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update: after having to rename all damn files, 500 of them, it turns out that Office Lens had been deleting a random scan every time that I had decided I wanted to do another scan or shot [presumably because you Microsoft didn't program in the remove function correctly with the new automated format name]. Because about 250 pages from the original document are missing, deleted by your classy programming.

So out of 500 scans, I have left about 200 of the "re-shots/scans" which I thought I had deleted, instead of all the pages which I had scanned. I need to now sort out which of the 250 scans or the reshots are the original ones, then index exactly which pages are missing, and retake the shots [/rescan] the missing pages from the original document. That is a lot of extra work.

Had this document not been paginated, all work until now would be absolutely worthless. But actually it might be quicker to just redo everything again with another product that actually works.

Seriously though. Do you even test your product before updating?

Thank you for the headache, and for wasting my time.

P.S. That was a bad example with the seconds, since it was taken different minutes. Instead:

Office Lens 20160831-154826
        Office Lens 20160831-154836
        Office Lens 20160831-154844
        Office Lens 20160831-154852

Worked great. Never any hassle.

Exactly Matthew!!! I came to post this as well. My 500 photos taken are now a mess. How did they even think?

Before:

Office Lens 20170627-144847.jpg
        Office Lens 20170627-144943.jpg

(neatly sorted by second...)

After:

2017-07-08 12_37 Office Lens.jpg
        2017-07-08 12_37 Office Lens (1).jpg

And so on... and it became an absolute mess [I don't know how, but it did]. Now I have to go through every single file and rename them manually instead of it sorting automatically timewise like before. It wasn't even possible to sort by date in the folder since somehow the app screwed that up as well.

Please revert back to the old format ASAP. Why fix what ain't broken? Sort by second! Why minute?

• Matthew Skelton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft have just broken the file naming in Office Lens. Instead of sensible yyyyMMdd like it used to be, it's now changed to a gormless dd_MM_yyyy which does not sort properly and ends up with (1) (2) suffixes due to the crap new name format.

So rubbish.

• Ms Sparks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format for save would eliminate need for a counter unless you are saving quicker than 1 per second.

If it did YYYYMMDD HH:MM and then added a counter only if you took more than 1 pic per minute would even be better.

20161016 13:20
        20161016 13:20 (02)

• Siminrm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always over write and save file as "20160315 - xxxxxxx". Would be great to have this option

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes own date and naming format with counter would be usefull. I.e. 2015-09-07 preentation -slide 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base