How can we improve Office Lens?

Please add black and white enhancement option.

I see no obvious enhancement of the image taken. Autocrop works pretty well btw.

1,048 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just need my pictures of documents to save not as yellowish due to environment lighting, AND NOT BE 900kb in size when such documents should be saved under 100kb with an office scanner (grayscale or b&w). Therfore grayscale, b&w, or contrast features would be great AS LONG AS THEY ENSURE THE DOCUMENT IS SMALL IN SIZE. Right now i tried to use my cell phone camera with grayscale setting then printed that to pdf but the size was bigger than what Office Lens was producing (2.7Mb vs 800kb). Still, 800kb is way too much for a simple PDF document intended to be black & white. Anyhow... unfortunately i just found out that G Drive (not to name your competitor in full) as a Black and White scanning option which is easy to use so, in the interim i need to switch to that option although i would prefer a Microsoft solution. Thanks!

Please Microsoft! I want to drop Camscanner but the truth is, camscanner cleans up documents so much better.

• Daniel Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will most likely switch to a different app for this reason. 80% of my use of Office Lens is scanning black and white documents, so I would really like to have automatic processing to clean up the document. I'm going to try out the whiteboard mode to see if it works for this purpose...

• kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

or even easier....tap a white balance button, then tap an area thats supposed to ne neutral or white. im sure there are plenty of 12 yr old app devs that would gladly do this in a day for $100. lol

• kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seriously. MS is really good with colors. why they cant add a simple slider for white balance and contrast is beyond me. should be really simple
        but as with all things MS...roll out a product halfass so they can say they have a product. but they miss the point that so many of us would srick with the whole MS system if they just went a couple steps further and thought things through. lol

• Airil Hafiiz Hasri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was voice up almost 2 years back, appreciate if Microsoft could start working on this now. we need b&w option for office lens. thanks.

I want to give all 10 votes to this request. Most common use case for me is to scan a b/w document. Make it work so that the output does not look like I tossed the paper in my washer.

• Elia Cam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Colour scans is fine for me but please enhance scans so that the background is white rather this kind of grey that we have on normal scans. Thanks !

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The number one use of this app for me (and i assume many others) is to easilly digitize notes. This app is a major help with that but most my notes are in pencil on white paper. Most of the time i can take a good pic and make out all the notes but not all the time. If their was a black and white option or a contrast ajustment slider then this app would be near perfect.

I'd take a closer look at how Evernote processes documents once snapped. Photos are automatically converted to b&w, cropped, OCR'ed, and optimized for disk storage. Evernote's failure is in not letting document get saved to disk apart from their app.

• Jim R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just lost out to another app, blind test sent to boss as app#1, app #2, he picked the other one because it was BW. Personally I was surprised how nice it works.

Feedback and Knowledge Base